Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Rich and decadent, from deep in the heart of Texas! This truly is the absolute BEST chocolate sheet cake I've ever eaten!! The frosting features Mexican Ibarra chocolate (which is flavored with almonds and cinnamon), Texas pecans, and whipping cream. YUM! Note: A sheetcake is a long and flat single layer cake. This is a very well written recipe, and is relatively easy to prepare--and even easier to enjoy! :) I like mine with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. Courtesy Ladies Home Journal.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, melted and cooled
- 4 1⁄2 ounces mexican chocolate, ibarra, 1 1/2 discs (or 4 1/2 squares , 4 1/2 oz., semisweet chocolate and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- Heat oven to 350°F Grease a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Line bottom with waxed paper; grease and flour paper.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- Whisk cocoa and boiling water in medium bowl until smooth.
- Stir cocoa into dry ingredients with a rubber spatula.
- (Mixture will be dry.) Whisk eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and butter in medium bowl.
- Whisk buttermilk mixture into cocoa mixture, until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Make frosting:.
- Meanwhile, place Ibarra chocolate (or semisweet chocolate and cinnamon) and butter in medium microwaveproof bowl.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap, turning back one section to vent.
- Microwave on High 1 1/2 minutes, until chocolate is melted; stir until smooth.
- Add cream.
- Cover and microwave 1 1/2 minutes more, just until cream is hot.
- Stir until frosting is completely smooth and shiny.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack 5 minutes.
- Pour frosting evenly over hot cake.
- Sprinkle pecans over top.
- Cool cake completely.
- Serve immediately. Good with vanilla ice cream, if desired. Refrigerate any leftovers.
- Makes 12 servings.
This was very dense and rich -- we really enjoyed it! It was especially good served with vanilla ice cream. I think this needs to be stored in the refrigerator after preparing, by the way, because the frosting was too soft at room temperature. Thanks for sharing such a great, simple recipe.