Rich and decadent, from deep in the heart of Texas! This truly is the absolute BEST chocolate sheet cake I've ever eaten!! The frosting features Mexican Ibarra chocolate (which is flavored with almonds and cinnamon), Texas pecans, and whipping cream. YUM! Note: A sheetcake is a long and flat single layer cake. This is a very well written recipe, and is relatively easy to prepare--and even easier to enjoy! :) I like mine with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. Courtesy Ladies Home Journal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, melted and cooled
- 1Heat oven to 350°F Grease a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- 2Line bottom with waxed paper; grease and flour paper.
- 3Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- 4Whisk cocoa and boiling water in medium bowl until smooth.
- 5Stir cocoa into dry ingredients with a rubber spatula.
- 6(Mixture will be dry.) Whisk eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and butter in medium bowl.
- 7Whisk buttermilk mixture into cocoa mixture, until smooth.
- 8Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 9Bake 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- 10Make frosting:.
- 11Meanwhile, place Ibarra chocolate (or semisweet chocolate and cinnamon) and butter in medium microwaveproof bowl.
- 12Cover bowl with plastic wrap, turning back one section to vent.
- 13Microwave on High 1 1/2 minutes, until chocolate is melted; stir until smooth.
- 14Add cream.
- 15Cover and microwave 1 1/2 minutes more, just until cream is hot.
- 16Stir until frosting is completely smooth and shiny.
- 17Cool cake in pan on wire rack 5 minutes.
- 18Pour frosting evenly over hot cake.
- 19Sprinkle pecans over top.
- 20Cool cake completely.
- 21Serve immediately. Good with vanilla ice cream, if desired. Refrigerate any leftovers.
- 22Makes 12 servings.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tex-Mex Chocolate Sheet Cake - the Best!
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 568.3
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.0 g
- Cholesterol 106.4 mg
- Sodium 459.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 42.1 g
- Protein 6.3 g