Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Our favorite crock pot chili...smells great while cooking too. And like most chili, it's even better re-heated.
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 -4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup vegetable juice or 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Brown beef and garlic until brown, drain well.
- Stir in chili powder and cumin, cook 2 minutes more.
- In crock pot, combine beans, celery, onion, peppers.
- Add undrained tomatoes, vegetable or tomato juice, tomato paste, and salt.
- Stir in meat mixture.
- Cover and cook on low 10-12 hours or high 4-5 hours.
I love this stuff! When you're comfy with experimenting with it a little, you can add chopped sirloin or other steak, many varieties of sausage, black beans, kernel corn (yellow, white or mixed), 'shrooms as you please, and serve over anything from a baked tater to spaghetti, elbow mac, roasted eggplant or Spanich/Mexican rice. Yum !!!
Made this for lunches. I followed the recipe as written other then I didn't use the celery as I didn't have any. I also used two cans of petite diced tomatoes. This froze nicely. I topped our servings with cheddar cheese. We all enjoyed this. Made for Spring PAC 2010.
AMAZING!!! I made this chili for a chili cookoff with friends and took home the grand prize! Thanks Amy!