Recipe by Sue Lau
Has a little bit of spice to it, but you can adjust it however you like. Great for using up leftover chicken or turkey!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cups cooked chicken (chopped or shredded) or 2 cups cooked turkey (chopped or shredded)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 tortilla, prepared (or broken corn tortilla chips, for garnish)
- oil (as needed)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (for garnish) or 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- 1 finely sliced green onion (for garnish)
- 1 -2 thinly sliced fresh jalapeno pepper (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- If using tortilla rather than broken chips for garnish, using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, thinly slice tortilla into strips and fry in hot oil until crisp (baking works as well).
- Drain and set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in soup pot until tender.
- Add chicken broth, green chilies, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and cooked meat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve soup in bowls, garnished with crisp tortilla strips (or broken chips), shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, sliced scallion, and jalapeno peppers.