I know there are a lot of tortilla soups out there, but this is my hubby's absolute favorite. This is a brothy type soup, but filling enough to be dinner!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 (8 3/4 ounce) cans corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- tortilla chips
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- sliced avocado
- lime wedge
- Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- In large saucepan combine water, broths, undrained tomatoes, onion and green bell pepper.
- Bring to boiling.
- Add chicken; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add corn and seasonings, salting to taste.
- Simmer, covered, for 10 more minutes.
- Serve with crushed tortilla chips (I love the lime flavored ones), jack cheese, avocado and squeezes of lime juice!
I love this soup.. I don't really know what else to say, my dh loves it as well as my lil sis who stays with us for the time being. I don't do anything different from the recipe except lil sis likes to add cheetos instead of shredded cheese. Thanks so much for this recipe.
This is our favorite recipe for tortilla soup. I got mine out of a Better Home and Garden magazine in 1991, originally. Thank you so much for posting it.