Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe in the latest "What's Cooking" Magazine and I knew I would love it! There are a few modifications from the original recipe in my version here.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped (leftovers would work great)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, your favourite,plus (I like Bobbie-Q Sauce (Barbecue Sauce))
- 1⁄8 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning (I use Taco Seasoning Blend)
- 3 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese, your favourite kind i used cheddar and montery jack (The original recipe calls for Kraft Tex Mex)
- 1⁄2 cup additional shredded cheese
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fry onions in a frying pan until tender crisp.
- Add rest of the ingredients for chicken mixture and simmer until heated through.
- Lay 1 tortilla on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Cover tortilla with half the chicken mixture and then half the cheese.
- Top with the second tortilla then repeat the chicken and cheese layers.
- Cover with the last tortilla.
- Top with reserved sauce and cheese.
- Sprinkle green onion on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before cutting into 6 wedges.
The combination of barbecue sauce and taco seasoning seems like it wouldn't work well together, but it has a suprisingly good flavor with the chicken. My only change to the recipe was the amount of onions; 2 onions just seems to be way too much. I used 1/2 cup of chopped onions instead.