Recipe by Pierre Dance
Another recipe without a past, I have no idea where it came from and I don't recognize the hand it's written in. I do remember that it is delicious.
- 1 teaspoon whole dried chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon whole Mexican oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 1 (28 ounce) candiced peeled tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken stock (Homemade is best)
- 6 chicken thighs, skinned, boned, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 -3 jalapeno chile, roasted, seeded, devained, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) candiced Ortega green chilies
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind the first 9 ingredients in a spice mill.
- Combine all ingredients except the Ortega Chilies in crock pot.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours until rice and chicken are done.
- Like most crock pot rice dishes, it will turn mushy if over cooked.
- Add chilies, mix well and serve.
- You need a nice salad to counterpoint this dish, maybe Jicama & Cucumber or shredded baby carrot& toasted Pinones (Pine Nuts) dressed with Key Lime Juice or a tart Vinaigrette.