Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Better Homes and Gardens recipe
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (6 5/8 ounce) packageregular chicken rice pilaf mix
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken or 4 cups cooked turkey
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chili peppers, drained
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- In a 3-quart saucepan cook onion in hot butter, or oil until tender.
- Stir in rice-vermicelli mix, including seasoning package, and uncooked rice.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in broth and water.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes (liquid will not be fully absorbed).
- Transfer the mixture to a very large mixing bowl; stir in chicken or turkey, tomato, chili peppers, basil, chili powder, cumin, and pepper.
- Transfer to a 3-quart casserole.
- Bake, covered, in a 425 degree F oven for 20 minutes.
- Uncover; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes more.