Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A nice meal for the weekend when you don't want to spend time cooking.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons brummel & brown margarine
- 1 (6 5/8 ounce) packageregular chicken rice pilaf mix
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 (14 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 cups cooked chicken or 4 cups turkey
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chili peppers, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed (or 2 T, snipped)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed (or 1/4 t. ground)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (or 1/8 t.)
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- In a 3-quart saucepan, cook onion in hot margarine until tender.
- Stir in rice-vermicelli mix, including seasoning package and uncooked rice.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in broth and water.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes (liquid will not be fully absorbed).
- Transfer the mixture to a very large mixing bowl; stir in chicken or turkey, tomato, chili peppers, basil, chili powder, cumin, and pepper.
- Transfer to a 3-quart casserole.
- Bake, covered, in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Uncover; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes more.