Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Chicken and rice in a zippy sauce. A complete meal ready in no time. We love this with guacamole, sour cream and fresh tortillas! A bed of shredded lettuce adds to the complete meal.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 29.58 ml jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 295.73 ml chicken broth
- 1 lime, juice of
- 283.49 g can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 236.59 ml long grain rice, uncooked
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml ground cumin
- 177.44 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt, pepper and cumin and set aside.
- In large skillet, saute onion, garlic and jalapeno in olive until tender.
- Add broth, lime juice and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice.
- Place chicken over rice mixture.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn chicken and cook 5-10 minutes longer until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and let stand until cheese melts (approx. 5 minutes).
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
I prepared a full recipe but with half the chicken for the two of us. The chicken breasts were quite large, so there was still enough meat for 4 people, but enough of the rice part for more like three. It was a good dish. I added extra garlic, but I think you could probably add some more spices and/or chiles to it as well.
Easy to make. Tastes great! I too wasn't sure re: the cooking of the chicken, but it was tender and cooked thoroughly! Peeps are going to love this!
This recipe sounded good, but I wasn't real sure how it would turn out. No worries...this dish is wonderful! I scaled this recipe in half and followed the directions exactly (with the exception of using a 4 cheese Mexican blend instead of the cheddar cheese). It was very easy to throw together and had just the right amount of heat. Made for July, 2008 Bevy Tag.