Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Chicken a la King - Southwestern style.
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup milk, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 4 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- Heat oven to 450. Generously grease 6 popover cups or six 6-oz. custard cups. (Place custard cups on baking sheet.).
- In small bowl, beat eggs with wire whisk or rotary beater until lemon-colored and foamy. Add 3/4 cup milk; blend well.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoons chili powder and salt; beat with wire whisk or rotary beater just until batter is smooth and foamy on top.
- Fill greased cups about half full.
- Bake at 450 for 15 minutes. Do not open oven. Reduce heat to 350; bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Remove from oven; insert sharp knife into each popover to allow steam to escape. Remove from pan.
- Meanwhile, melt margarine in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons chili powder and cumin.
- Gradually add chicken broth and 1/2 cup milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Add cheese; stir until melted.
- Stir in chicken and chiles. Simmer 1 to 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Spoon chicken mixture into split popovers.