Recipe by Chef JenR
Sooo...I read all the fabulous posts on Tex Mex pies and casseroles and came up with this....husband LOVED it, but he is not picky...would love feedback, good or bad!! Plenty of subs in this recipe...use green chiles in place of banana peppers or any diced can of tomatoes in place of Rotel. I created this based on what I had on hand that smacked of Tex Mex....
- 2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained (Rotel)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, Chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons banana peppers, Chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped pimiento
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup Bisquick or 3⁄4 cup baking mix
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, Grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Toast the corn (I use an iron skillet) in the cooking oil for 3 minutes on one side, then turn and add the onion. Cook 3 more minutes and set aside.
- Mix the shredded chicken with sour cream, mayo, banana peppers, pimento, cumin, garlic powder, oregano and chili powder. Set aside.
- Mix the Bisquick, Corn Meal, milk and egg until combined, and press into a greased 9" pie pan or square 9" x 9" pan.
- Layer with ricotta cheese, and sprinkle evenly 1/4 t cumin, 1/4 t garlic, 1 t salt.
- Next layer with toasted corn and onions.
- Next layer with chicken mixture.
- Top evenly with Rotel tomatoes.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes and then add cheese on top evenly. Bake for 5 more minutes.