Recipe by Templar
The first recipe in the hand-written recipe book Mom gave me when I went to college.
Top Review by LARavenscroft
This was very tasty and so easy. I did use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts as that is what I had on hand. The tomatoes make a very nice sauce. Will definitely make this again. Thanks for posting this Templar. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 6 chicken breast halves
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (don't drain)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 (10 ounce) canmild rotel (don't drain)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups instant rice
- 3 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and ground red pepper. Sprinkle over chicken halves.
- Oil large skillet, place over medium heat until hot. Add chicken and cook until brown - about two minutes or so per side.
- Add diced tomatoes, green onions and Rotel to skillet. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer until chicken is tender - about 20 minutes or so.
- In seperate pot, combine rice and wter according to instructions on package.
- Remove chicken from skillet.
- Combine cornstarch and water, stirring well. Once cornstarch is completely dissolved, add to mixture in skillet. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened - about one minute.
- Put rice on plate, lay chicken half on rice, ladle tomato mixture over chicken. Serve with a salad and sweet tea.