Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are an absolute must for your next backyard cookout! The chili-lime flavored mayonnaise is DELICIOUS! I usually do not like mayo on a hamburger (give me mustard or Miracle Whip) but you will be surprised with this delightfully different taste.
Chili-Lime Mayo ingredients
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup picante sauce or 1⁄3 cup salsa or 1⁄3 cup chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 slices monterey jack pepper cheese (1 ounce)
- 6 hamburger buns
- In small bowl combine first four ingredients to make the Chili-Lime Mayo.
- Mix well and refrigerate while cooking burgers.
- In large bowl combine ground beef with next four ingredients, adding salt and pepper to your taste.
- Use your hands and combine these ingredients well.
- Form meat mixture into 6 (6-inch) patties.
- Grill meat patties on outdoor grill over medium-high (350-400 degrees) heat.
- Be sure to keep the grill lid closed to avoid flare-ups.
- This should take approximately 5 minutes on each side.
- You may also cook these in the oven, if you prefer.
- Check meat patties for doneness and top each meat patty with one slice of pepper-jack cheese during the last minute or so of grilling.
- We also toast our buns on the grill.
- This only takes a moment as they will burn quickly.
- Serve burgers on toasted buns slathered with Chili-Lime Mayo and your desired toppings.
- Suggested Toppings: shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sliced fresh onion or guacamole.
Once in a while you find a recipe that just suits your taste to perfection. This is one of those. The mayonnaise was great -- not too runny at all -- even tho I used low-fat. I used chipotle chili sauce and ground turkey, too. I wish I had made even more of the mayo because it's all gone and we have a couple of burgers left. Kudos to Susie! Try this! You'll lvoe it!
I made this recipe according to the instructions with no changes. For my DH and I, the burgers were somewhat bland. I expected more oomph to them. The chili-lime mayo wasn't bad. It was kind of on the thin side due to the lime juice, and for our tastes it would need more chili powder. Overall the recipe was not that bad if you dont like spicy, but we were disappointed thinking "Tex-Mex" would mean a kick in flavor. I think my favorite part was the pepper jack cheese. Sorry; it just wasnt for us.
We loved these burgers! They were easy to make and grilled nicely. The taste reminded me of sloppy joes but the chili-lime mayo gave it a totally unique taste. I loved the mayo though I thought it was a little thin because of the lime juice. But I only needed one lime for the mayonnaise. I really liked the unique taste of the mayonnaise and I think it would taste good on wraps too. My husband really liked the burgers and he said they would be good for grilling with company. Thanks for a great recipe.