Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A wonderful answer to the family desire for slightly spicy food! Easy and quick to fix with ingredients you probably have on hand!
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 lb shredded/cubed cooked chicken
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped small
- 1 teaspoon garlic, from a jar or 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt and black pepper
- 12 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese or 12 ounces cheddar cheese (or combination of the two)
- chopped tomato
- shredded lettuce
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 13x9 baking dish Scatter crushed chips on the bottom of the prepared pan Combine the chicken, beans, corn, tomato sauce, salsa, onion, pepper, garlic, salt/pepper in a bowl.
- Place half the mixture on the crushed chips Cover with half the cheese Cover with the remaining chicken mixture and sprinkle with the remaining cheese Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Let stand for 3-5 minutes before serving.
- Cut into 8 servings.
- Recipe can be successfully reduced in half and baked in an 8x8 baking dish.
A wonderful recipe and loved the chicken instead of ground beef. I used chicken tenderloins that I cut into bite size pieces and browned in some olive oil along with the onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Added the rest of the ingredients and warmed thru but had a soupy mixture so I used a slotted spoon to layer the caserole. Baked for 30 minutes and it was perfect! Served with sour cream and tortilla chips on the side. Thank you mostrah for posting a great recipe! Made and reviewed for the photo forums Tex Mex Challenge.
Bottom line, I love casseroles, and I love mexican, so its no shock that I loved this dish!!! Thanks for the recipe!!!!