Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
You can add pinto beans to this if you like. Its good both ways.
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey breast
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 pressed garlic clove
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies (mild)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 ounces cornbread mix
- skim milk
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray. In a large saucepan coasted with cooking spray, cook turkey, beef, onions and garlic 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink; drain.
- Wipe skillet with paper towel. Return meat mixture to pan. Stir in tomatoes with chilies, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cover and cook for 10 minutes Pour into baking dish. Prepare cornbread mixture according to package directions,using skim milk. Pour over meat mixture. Bake 30 mins or until lightly browned.
I really liked the ease of this recipe. And for having so few ingredients, it was full of flavor! I used all ground turkey (no beef), but didn't make any other changes. Next time, I will add some black beans. I didn't need the full 30 minutes cook time in the oven. I checked it at 20 minutes and the cornbread was done and golden brown. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!
I used all beef and added black beans. This is an easy go to weeknight meal. Thanks for posting!
Very good and easy -- also open to adaptations! I made a few minor changes by adding some frozen corn to the cornbread topping. Thanks for sharing!