Recipe by Charlotte J
Top Review by CoffeeB
Thanks Charlotte for a great little put together meal that went together in no-time. I didn't change anything other than to omit the green chilies on top and tomatoes and this being only because of family preference. It didn't list where to add the cumin and so I added it along with the chili powder. Glad I tagged this for 123 HIT Wonders~
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup green chili, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, cook ground beef with onions and garlic, stirring frequently, until browned and pour off drippings.
- Add tomato sauce and chili powder and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a 10-inch nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until sizzling.
- Add potatoes, pressing into one layer.
- Cook 5 minutes or until bottom is golden brown.
- Turn with large spatula and continue cooking 4 to 5 minutes or until bottom of potatoes are golden brown, reducing heat if potatoes are browning too quickly.
- Don't worry if potatoes break apart when you turn them and just pat them back together with the spatula.
- Spoon ground beef mixture over potatoes and top with tomatoes, chilies and cheese.
- Broil 3 to 4 inches from broiler 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.