Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
Recipe by Los Tios Restaurant, Houston, Texas
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1⁄4 lbs eggplants, cubed
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro leaf
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1 tablespoon dried currant
- 1 tablespoon chopped pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon morton lite salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil and spray heavily with cooking spray.
- Set aside.
- Seed the peppers and cut each pepper vertically into quarters.
- Stacking 2 to 3 pieces at a time, cut the peppers horizontally into ¼ inch strips and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the garlic and onion.
- Toss well.
- Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet; liberally spray them with cooking spray until they are well coated.
- Place the pan on a rack set in the middle of the oven.
- Arrange the eggplant on a second prepared baking sheet.
- Spray the eggplant with cooking spray until well coated.
- Place a large piece of foil over the eggplant, covering it loosely.
- Place the pan on rack set toward top of oven.
- Set a timer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, stir peppers and return them to oven.
- Stir eggplant, turning cubes.
- Cover again with foil and return pan to oven.
- Bake both pans of vegetables another 10 minutes.
- Scrape the softened pepper mixture back into a large bowl; set the garlic aside.
- Stir the eggplant, turning the cubes.
- Cover it again with foil and bake for 10 minutes, until the cubes hold their shape but feel soft to the touch.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop the roasted garlic; add it to the bowl of roasted peppers and onions.
- Add the jalapeno, cilantro, capers, currants, pine nuts and vinegar.
- When the eggplant is done, scrape it into a bowl.
- Add the salt and black pepper.
- Mix with a fork until the caponata is well blended and creamy.
- Set aside to cool.
- If possible, refrigerate overnight before using.