Recipe by Rita~
These were created by the Exotic Epicureans for Zaar World Tour 03. A team of 9, we each picked one ingredient from 1 region of the US our the Southwest. Making an all American Burger using these ingredients. Kumquat the Cat's friend-lime that brings freshness, JanetC-KY-pepper jack cheese or Queso blanco a creaminess and richness, Alskann-Texas sweet onion made smoky, lucid501-beef just ask any Texan, Anme-corn for sweetness and lightens the burgers, free-free-avocado a rich creaminess, acerast-refried beans for health and to help hold the burger to the chips, Midwest Maven-tortilla chips and myself-chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for heat and smokiness. We stepped out of the box and went for these cute, spicy, smoky, sweet, mini-mini burgers that we placed on tortilla chips adhered with just a tad of refried beans topped with a tad of sour cream, tomato and avocado salsa and chipotle Caramelized onions. Oh as for the burgers they are filled with cheese, corn, chipolte peppers and cumin both give a great smokiness creating this Finger Licking Treats. You can use TVP (Texturized Vegetable Protein (TVP), also known as Textured Soy Protein (TSP) is a meat substitute made from defatted soy flour, a by-product of making soybean oil. It is quick to cook, high in protein, and low in fat.)in place of the beef! To rehydrate, 1 2/3 TVP add 1 1/3 cup boiling water. For the COOKING equivalent of 1 pound of hamburger meat, but equals 89 grams of protein or 12.7 protein blocks. By comparrison: 1 pound of hamburger has: 10.7 blocks in regular ground beef 11.2 block in lean ground beef 12 blocks of protein in extra lean ground beef
Top Review by Chef Kate
This is really a review of part of this enormous recipe--which I scaled down to miniscule. I loved the carmelized adobo onions--I did make a full batch of those and they are great! Rather than make the salsa (as I making a burger for one) I had a slice of avocado over which I squeezed some lime juice and a slice of tomato with my burger. For the burger itself, I skipped the corn and used just a touch of chipotle, along with the seasonings and some queso blanco. Finally, I skipped the garnishes altogether--made myself a quarter-pounder of a Texotic-Mexotic which I confess to eating with a knife and fork. I am somehat of a burgr purist--don't really like burgers with tons of stuff--but this combo of the burger with avocado, tomato, carmelized adobo onions and some queso blanco is delicious! And even though I didn't do the 20 servings of mini burgers with chips, etc., I think it's a brilliant concept and that you bunch of Exotics more than deserve five stars.
Caramelized Adobo onions
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 texas sweet onions, sliced (and reserve 1/8 cup for salsa below)
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from the can of prepared chipotle peppers in adobo or make your own Chipotles En Adobo/ Chipotles Chili in Adobo Sauce)
Tomato and Avocado Salsa
- 1 tomatoes, diced fine
- 1 avocado, diced fine
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon tequila
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (divided for burgers)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (divided for burgers)
- 1 lb ground beef (vegetarians use tvp as described in the description)
- 1⁄3 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 -2 chipotle chilie in adobo seasoning (seeded for less heat and finely minced plus 2 tablespoon chipotle sauce)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 5 ounces monterey jack cheese or 5 ounces queso blanco, finely diced
- 1 ounce light sour cream (optional) or 1 ounce fat free sour cream (optional)
- 4 ounces fat-free refried beans
- 40 tortilla chips (use No trans fat)
Directions See How It's Made
- Caramelized Adobo Onions:.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Add onions and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste, sugar and adobo sauce stir well to combine.
- Meanwhile make Tomato and Avocado Salsa:.
- Add all ingredients from the salsa using 1/2 the cilantro and parsley and added the 1/8 cup finely mined onion. Chill till ready to serve.
- TEXotic-MEXotic BURGERS:.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix all burger ingredients together including the remaining cilantro and parsley. Make burgers using 1 tablespoon full of meat mixture.
- Place on a cookie sheet pan and bake for 5-10 minutes. Don`t overcook.
- Meanwhile place chips on serving platter topping with just a tad of refried beans (used just to hold the mini burgers on).
- Remove burgers from oven and place on beans be sure to get the cheese that oozed out (go ahead sneak some for yourself ;) ), topping with a tad of sour cream, Caramelized Adobo Onions, and salsa.
- Enjoy these finger licking good burgers!
- Alternate: Yes you can make regular sized burgers just bake a bit longer till desired doneness.