Recipe by HeatherFeather
After tasting this at a neighbor's Super Bowl party one year, I quickly scribbled down the recipe. This is a fairly simple dish to throw together and is a great accompaniment to Tex-Mex style dishes, although this isn't pretending to be any sort of authentic dish from any one particular region. I have made it many times over the years and this is a great dish for a potluck. Mahatma saffron rice comes in shiny yellow foil tubes in the rice section of your grocery store. I usually follow the microwave instructions for preparing the rice. I serve this as a side dish, but I think a Vegetarian who eats dairy would be able to enjoy this as a meal as well.
- 2 (5 ounce) packages saffron rice mix, plus ingredients to prepare rice according to package directions (such as Mahatma brand)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies (such as Ro-tel mild or spicy)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the saffron rice according to the package directions,using the amount of oil/butter and water as indicated on the package (I usually use olive oil).
- While the rice is cooking, rinse& drain the black beans in a mesh strainer to remove all the sludgey canning liquid and dump them into a small saucepan.
- Pour the entire contents of the diced tomatoes w/chili peppers,liquid and all,into the same pan with the beans and stir to combine.
- Cover the saucepan with lid,turn on the heat to low, and let bean mixture heat while the rice cooks, stirring occasionally- it should be ready when the rice is done.
- When the rice is fully cooked, pour it into a deep, medium sized casserole dish.
- Pour bean mixture into the center of the rice, leaving a border of the yellow rice peeking out arounds the sides.
- Place the sour cream in the center of the bean mixture in a dollop as a garnish (you can use more if you like).
- Sprinkle shredded Cheddar cheese over the top of the sour cream and over the beans.
- Sprinkle with cilantro leaves (optional) if you like and serve immediately.
- NOTE: If you don't have access to canned diced tomatoes with chilis, then you can substitute an equal amount of chunky salsa, if you like.
- You may wish to provide a bowl of additional sour cream as well as a bowl of more cheese for guests to add extra to each serving, but it isn't necessary.