2 hrs 30 mins
I found this recipe on the Cooking.com site and didn't want to lose it. I hope to try it out soon. I'll let you know how it goes...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions
- 3 red bell peppers, finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons medium-hot chili powder, such as Gebhardt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 3/4 cups canned crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 cup lager beer
- 3 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce, from canned chipotle chiles
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 1/4 lbs shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 lb shredded monterey jack cheese
- 144 inches corn tortillas
- 1 (29 ounce) can refried beans
- 3/4 cup chopped white onion
- 6 cups about finely shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 cups sour cream, room temperature, whisked until smooth
- 1Heat oil in heavy large deep saute pan over medium heat.
- 2Add yellow onion, bell peppers and garlic. Saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add ground beef. Sprinkle with salt. Saute until meat is no longer pink, breaking up meat with back of spoon, about 10 minutes.
- 4Add chili powder, cumin, oregano and black pepper; saute 3 minutes.
- 5Add broth, tomatoes, beer, chipotle chiles and adobo sauce. Simmer uncovered until liquid reduces slightly, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.
- 6Add corn and simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.
- 8Cover chili and refrigerate at least 1 day.
- 9DO-AHEAD TIP: Chili can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.
- 10Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.
- 11Combine both cheeses.
- 12Spread 2 tablespoons beans over one side of 6 tortillas.
- 13Arrange tortillas bean side up and overlapping slightly in 14-by-11-by-3-inch baking dish.
- 14Spoon 1/3 of chili evenly over tortillas.
- 15Sprinkle 2 cups cheese mixture, then 1/4 cup onion over.
- 16Repeat layering 2 times.
- 17Spread remaining 6 tortillas with remaining beans, then arrange tortillas bean side down in casserole.
- 18Sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture.
- 19Bake until casserole is heated through and bubbling, about 50 minutes.
- 20Let stand on cooling rack for 5 minutes.
- 21Cut casserole into generous squares.
- 22Sprinkle with shredded lettuce and top with dollop of sour cream, and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tex-Mex Beef and Bean Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (670 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1040.7
- Calories from Fat 518
- Total Fat 57.5 g
- Saturated Fat 31.1 g
- Cholesterol 211.6 mg
- Sodium 1808.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.8 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 68.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
crushed tomatoes in puree
chipotle chiles in adobo