Recipe by Brenda.
This is one of my adopted recipes that I haven't tried yet. The original author wrote: "This may not be authentic Tex-Mex, but, we like it and I am sure you will too!"
Top Review by Charlotte J
This is an excellent dish. Once again young and old alike gave it 5 stars. I baked the crust about 5 minutes longer, as I used a heavy Le Creuset baking dish. I had a green pepper in the freezer that I used for Step 4. The directions and baking times were right on the money. Thanks for posting this wonderful dish. Made in loving memory of Janice
- 2 cups frito's original corn chips, crushed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 ounces Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped 1/4-inch
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine corn chips, egg, and water; press into 9-inch pie plate or casserole. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine onion soup mix, ground beef, Chiles, and 1/2 cup of the cheese; evenly press into prepared crust.
- Top with tomato sauce, then green pepper. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Top with remaining cheese, then bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and beef is done.