Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 hrs
This coleslaw recipe has been made by my family for at least 54 years, maybe more. I personally have never made it although I plan to. "Cooking time" is chilling time.
- 1 medium cabbage
- 1 bell pepper (green)
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 4 tablespoons vinegar (white)
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 7 ounces Miracle Whip
- 1⁄2 ounce mustard (yellow)
- Remove core of cabbage and outer leaves.
- Remove seeds, core of bell pepper.
- In a food processor shred cabbage, bell pepper, onion to desired size. (I like it minced whereas my DH likes it coarsely chopped).
- In large bowl mix vinegar, sugar, Miracle Whip and mustard together until well blended.
- Pour that mixture over the cabbage, bell pepper and onion and mix well so everything is coated.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
- Mix it again and enjoy!
Very good slaw! I'm glad to see that others like onions in their cole slaw. I used a red bell pepper instead of green, just for more color. I don't usually have Miracle Whip, so I used mayo and added a little more sugar to mimic the sweet tanginess. This is delicious. Even better the next day. Thanx!
I've never thought of using onions in slaw before or mustard or bell pepper (I used red since I don't like green) but it really works and it is really good! We had this last night alongside pot roast sandwiches! Very yummy! Thanks for posting!Made for Veg'n Tag 37!
I tasted some right after making it and I already know it's five star worthy! I can't wait to see it get better overnight. I made it with Vegenaise instead of Miracle Whip, so it's really healthy and cholesterol-free. What a great treat to enjoy something so good for you.