Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 hrs
This particular Rösti is called Tessiner Rösti and its name comes from the Italian speaking canton Tessin (Ticino) which borders to Italy. My assumption is that ther authors of the book the recipe appears in (Betty Bossy: Feines aus Kartoffeln)named it that way because of the ingredients which remind of Italy. The cuisine in the canton Tessin (Ticino) resembles very much the cuisine of Italy. However, the origin of Rösti is the Swiss-German part of Switzerland. Please note that this recipe is not a basic recipe, but a variant of many. This Tessiner Rösti either serves 3-5 as a main course (with a simple salad on the side or as a starter) or 4-6 as a side dish to a barbecued or pan-fried piece of meat. As all Röstis, it would also be nice with fried eggs. It is important that the potatoes are completely cool, so cook and peel them a day in advance.
- 800 g waxy potatoes (such as Charlotte or Yukon or need to be cooked and peeled 1 day in advance)
- 2 tablespoons butter (or oil from sun-dried tomatoes)
- 1 big onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary needles
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- pepper, freshly ground
- 150 g pancetta, sliced
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- Please note that the potatoes must be completely cool to make Rösti, so plan ahead and cook the potatoes 1-3 days in advance.
- Wash the potatoes. Boil them covered in water or cook them in a pressure cooker until done. I prefer to boil them because it's easier to check when they are done. Cool them slightly until you can handle them. Peel while still warm. Keep the peeled potatoes covered in the fridge for 1-3 days.
- Grate the potatoes on a coarse grater.
- Heat the butter in a non-stick, 28-cm skillet. Add the chopped onion, the sliced garlic cloves and the finely chopped rosemary. Fry on low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add grated potatoes, stir. Slightly fry the potatoes on low heat for a few minutes, stirring from time to time. The potatoes should get a golden colour.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the pancetta and the drained sun-dried tomatoes. Mix with the other ingredients, then form to a cake. Fry for another 15 minutes WITHOUT STIRRING. The Rösti should get a gold-brown crust. Turn the Rösti with the help of a big, flat plate (or the under side of a round tin) and fry for another ten minutes.