Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Traditionally, my dad, Terry, makes these for New Year's Day. This makes a large pot and makes for a delicious meal, it's even better warmed up!
- 10 lbs pork spareribs (3 slabs)
- 2 quarts sauerkraut, drain one
- 60 ounces small potatoes, drained (canned)
- 1 medium onion, cut in half
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 large apple, cored & chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Place ribs in a large, deep kettle and cover with water.
- Add salt, pepper,1 onion cut in half, 1 clove garlic,and pickling spice (put the pickling spice in a tea strainer or cheese cloth).
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer 45 minutes or until meat comes off the bone.
- Remove meat and discard liquid. Cool and remove meat from bone along with all possible fat.
- Cut in bite size pieces.
- Put kraut in a large kettle, add meat, onion, brown sugar, caraway seed & apple. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain canned potatoes and cut each of them in half. Add potato halves and mix into the kraut and ribs.
- Heat through. Adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper if desired.