1/4 Photos of Territorial Chile Posole Stew
6 hrs 20 mins
Posole is lime-treated corn kernels, called "hominy" in many parts of the country. Posole comes in many different forms with the most popular being canned. This recipe calls for dried which is widely used in New Mexico. The dried is more flavorful because as it cooks it will absorb the spicy cooking liquid. In fact, towards the end of the cooking time, posole will "pop" and become fluffy flowers with a rich corn taste and soft chewy texture. The recipe is adapted from Real New Mexico Chile by Sandy Szwarc. If you can't get the dried you can sub a 29 ounce can drained.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb country-style pork ribs, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups rich chicken broth
- 2 cups dried corn kernels (posole)
- 1 cup new mexico chili peppers, roasted, peeled and chopped or 1 cup anaheim chili, chopped, roasted and peeled
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 2 -3 cups warm water (If using the dried posole) or 2 -3 cups additional chicken stock (If using the dried posole)
- 1Warm a large heavy skillet over medium high heat; sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper.
- 2Add the seasoned meat to warmed skillet and cook stirring frequently until lightly browned.
- 3Lower the heat to medium and add the onion and garlic.
- 4Sauté until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- 5Place the contents of the skillet into the crock-pot and add remaining ingredients.
- 6If using canned posole, wait until the last 2 hours to add to the crock-pot.
- 7Cover and simmer for 4 to 6 hours (depending on your crock-pot the cooking time may need to be increased), until the posole has popped and is tender.
- 8During the last few hours of cooking, it may be necessary to add the warm water or additional chicken stock; the dried posole will absorb the stock as it cooks.
- 9Salt the stew to taste, garnish with additional cilantro if desired and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Territorial Chile Posole Stew
Serving Size: 1 (533 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.9
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 56.0 mg
- Sodium 1566.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 25.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried corn kernels