Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Terri is a nurse/coworker who asked me to post one of her favorite recipes on here. She promises a great meal. Not for strict calorie/fat watchers but light cream can replace heavy cream, margarine in place of butter. Prep/cook time does not include cooking of the chicken.
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken broth or 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 8 ounces canned mushroom slices, drained
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 8 ounces spaghetti or 8 ounces thin pasta, cooked and drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On stovetop, brown onions in butter; add flour, salt, pepper, and chicken broth.
- Cook and stir on medium until brown and boiling.
- Turn heat to low and slowly stir in cream.
- Add parmesan, stir until blended; then add chicken, mushrooms and almonds.
- Toss mixture with cooked noodles and transfer to a greased 13x9 casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve with a side of veggies/tossed salad, warm bread and a glass of wine.
I absolutely loved this recipe!! My fiance is an EXTREMELY picky eater and he says this is favorite thing that I make. I don't think it makes great leftovers because it isn't as creamy, but with 2 or 3 people eating this, there are little to no leftovers. Thanks!
I used the chicken broth and thin linguini to make this to take to a potluck at work. I also didn't have canned mushrooms, so I sauteed about 8 ounces of fresh mushrooms (sliced) to add to the mixture. Since the recipe calls for baking for half an hour, I cooked the linguini about one minute less than "al dente" before adding it to the casserole. I barely had a chance to taste this, as it was literally "scarfed" up by my coworkers. When I told them they had to rate this recipe from 1 to 5, most of them said "5+". (We work for the government, the + means not enough options in original ratings.) Thank your coworker for a great recipe, Tara... next time I'm taking my share out before I bring it!! :o)