Cook4 hrs 10 mins
I developed this in a "Black&Decker All-in-one horizontal" model. The key to baking a successful 100% whole wheat loaf, I have found (at least in a machine!!) is to have the ingredients at ROOM TEMPERATURE. When they are, this dough rises high to make a light,soft loaf. It's a staple in our house, hope you enjoy!
- NOTE: If you keep your whole wheat flour in the freezer (which is a good idea) be sure to remove it a few hours before-hand so it can warm to room temperature.
- Measure the ingredients into your machine's loaf pan in the order listed. Be sure NOT to let the yeast touch the water. (By the way, I use bread machine yeast but I'm pretty sure regular yeast works too!).
- Set it to "grain" and press start (so it should say 4:10 on the little screen).
- When finished, remove from the machine, pull out the paddle if it's stuck in, and cover with a tea towel (to keep the crust soft) on a cooling rack. Let the loaf cool at least 20 minutes before slicing.
- It should stay fresh 4-5 days in normal weather. We usually slice and freeze a portion of the loaf and it defrosts beautifully. Also makes lovely breadcrumbs!