Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs 10 mins
I developed this in a "Black&Decker All-in-one horizontal" model. The key to baking a successful 100% whole wheat loaf, I have found (at least in a machine!!) is to have the ingredients at ROOM TEMPERATURE. When they are, this dough rises high to make a light,soft loaf. It's a staple in our house, hope you enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (I use sea salt)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (scant)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon any cooking oil
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour, plus
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat gluten (this is essential for rising)
- 2 teaspoons yeast, generous
- NOTE: If you keep your whole wheat flour in the freezer (which is a good idea) be sure to remove it a few hours before-hand so it can warm to room temperature.
- Measure the ingredients into your machine's loaf pan in the order listed. Be sure NOT to let the yeast touch the water. (By the way, I use bread machine yeast but I'm pretty sure regular yeast works too!).
- Set it to "grain" and press start (so it should say 4:10 on the little screen).
- When finished, remove from the machine, pull out the paddle if it's stuck in, and cover with a tea towel (to keep the crust soft) on a cooling rack. Let the loaf cool at least 20 minutes before slicing.
- It should stay fresh 4-5 days in normal weather. We usually slice and freeze a portion of the loaf and it defrosts beautifully. Also makes lovely breadcrumbs!
Awesome!! I let the breadmachine do the hardwork, shaped it and baked it in the oven as batards. The breads were awesome! My little one can't stop eating it with butter. Beautiful crust too. Makes two long batards baked for 350 F for 35 mins. Thanks very much.
WOW... This is the best eggless bread I have ever tasted. It has a soft, melt-in-your-mouth texture, not too sweet, not too salty, just PERFECT... I also use a Black and Decker and it works wonders for this bread! Fantastic!
This whole wheat bread is excellent. I've already made it 3 times this week! It's light and fluffy and very soft. My kids devour their PB&J when I use this bread. Thanks so much for posting.