Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A meal both filling and fulfilling! The flavors are great. This comes together so fast. It can be made ahead, just add the spinach 3 minutes before serving, enjoy!
- 15 ounces cannellini beans, drained and rinsed, I used navy bean
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 large onion, diced, about 1 cup
- 2 carrots, diced, about 1/2 cup
- 2 stalks celery, diced, about 1/2 cup
- 1 small zucchini, peeled, diced, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped, substitute 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage leaves, chopped, substitute 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth, substitute vegetable broth
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, can
- 2 ounces baby spinach leaves, chopped can use chopped kale (2 cups lightly packed)
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated (optional)
- In a small bowl mash half of the beans with a masher or the back of a spoon, and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, garlic, thyme, sage, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, and cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and tomatoes with the juice and bring to a boil. Add the mashed and whole beans and the spinach leaves and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes more.
- Serve topped with Parmesan, if desired.
I made the soup exactly per instructions using vegetable broth and kale and was rather disappointed with the bland taste of it. So i added more beans and 250 gr mushrooms (slightly fried first) and an extra teaspoon of organic veggy stock powder and then the soup finally got some rich flavour. Substituting spinach for kale was a very bad idea as kale stays hard even boiled while spinach would be very tender and juicy even after cooking. So i basically removed kale from the soup as much as it was possible. I then added a teaspoon of sour cream in each plate when serving and loved this version of the recipe much more. I think roasted kale would be a lovely addition sprinkled on top (could even be mixed with parmesan for baking).
Mmmmmm....tasty, simple and healthy. Winner! Thanks for sharing the keeper recipe.
Terrific, easy and yummy!