1/1 Photo of Terrific Tuscan Vegetable Soup
From USA Weekend 2/26/12 by Ellie Krieger "This Italian-style recipe is packed with six vegetables varieties -- plus beans -- making it an excellent source of fiber, vitamins A and C, and a good source of protein and minerals -- all for less than 150 calories a serving. mashing some of the beans before putting them in the soup thickens the herb-infused broth, giving it a hearty body."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 439.41 g can cannellini beans
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 stalk celery, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, diced (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 garlic clove, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh thyme or 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 9.85 ml chopped fresh sage or 2.46 ml dried sage
- 2.46 ml salt, plus more to taste
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 946.36 ml low sodium chicken or 946.36 ml vegetable broth
- 411.06 g can no-salt-added tomatoes, with their juices
- 56.69 g baby spinach leaves, chopped (2 cups lightly packed)
- 78.07 ml freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1In a small bowl, mash half of the beans with a masher or the back of a spoon; set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a large soup pot over med-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, zucchini, garlic, thyme, sage, salt and pepper, until the vegetables are tender (about 5 mins).
- 3Add broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- 4Add the mashed and whole beans and the spinach leaves; cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes more.
- 5Serve topped with the parmesan, if desired.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Terrific Tuscan Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 112.7
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 441.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: