Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A nice twist to potatoes/veggies on the grill! You can make them in the oven, too, if you're not grillin'!
- 4 large potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 5⁄8 ounce package dry onion soup mix (more or less, to your taste)
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- salt and pepper
- Pull off two large sheets of heavy duty foil.
- Attach them together along wide edge, by making a"seam" in the middle (put edges together and fold over at least twice), so that you have one large sheet.
- Slice potatoes approximately 1/4" thick.
- (Peel, or not- up to you).
- Place in center of tin-foil.
- Slice onions and red pepper and pile on top of potatoes.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic, soup mix, thyme, and salt and pepper over the piled veggies.
- Dot with cubes of butter.
- Wrap tightly in the tin-foil, and cook on the grill about 30-45 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- (You may want to place foil packet on top of one more sheet of foil just to make sure it doesn't burn- depends on how hot the grill is!).
- You can also bake in the oven at 375 for 45 minutes.
- (Place on a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet for support).
Have made similar packets,which were tasty. The only sub I made here was to use bottled onion soup sauce for the dried -- which I thought SHOULD have provided some liquid. These were dry and pretty much tasteless. Won't be using this recipe again. Sorry, LorenLou
I'm only giving this four stars because I didn't use any onion or soup mix.. just the rest of the ingredients, and I left the skin on the potatoes. It was delicious, and I'll make this again very soon!