Recipe by Aunty Dotty
This is a Jill Dupleix recipe for little puffs of yumminess. Make these as really irresistable appetisers, or for a swanky cocktail party. You make this choux pastry in a food processor, and you can use whatever spicy sausage you prefer..too easy!
Top Review by HeidiSue
Wow, very easy and very tasty! I am not a fan of Chorizo and happen to have some ground pork sausage, so I used that instead. I used just under half a pound. I really wanted to add some crushed red pepper to spice them up, but I was afraid my kids wouldn't eat them. However, I have some yummy raspberry chipotle sauce that I dipped them in and that did add some spice. I desperately wanted to add some grated cheese to the mix, but wanted to stick to the recipe this time, next time I will. The dough is smooth and sticky, I think you could pretty much add whatever yummy preference you would like and it would work out great. They are very reminiscent to sausage cheese balls, an appetizer I grew up with in Texas. They took about half an hour at 400 here, but I am at a high altitude. I did make them using my food processor, but next time I will use my kitchenaid mixer and there will definately be a next time! Thank you Aunty Dotty!
- 2 chorizo sausages
- olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs, free range
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 200C/400°F.
- Skin the sausages and crumble the meat into a hot pan. Fry til nice and brown, then drain on paper towel.
- Heat butter, water and salt in a heavy saucepan. As soon as the butter is melted and water boiling, add all the flour.
- Lower the heat and stir like crazy, til the dough pulls away from the sides and forms a ball.
- Keep cooking and stirring for another couple of minutes, then chuck into the processor and blend for 15 seconds.
- Add the eggs and blend another 45 seconds.
- Stir the sausage meat into the mix, then drop teaspoons full onto a greased/lined tray.
- Bake at 200C for 10 to 15 minutes - til golden and serve ASAP. Won't last long -- .