1 hr 40 mins
Colcannon—Terra’s own farm kitchen version and a Fall family favorite with all the kids. They served it at their annual open house. Colcannon is a traditional Irish and West Scots meal of butter, cabbage (or kale), potatoes, salt & pepper. It is an old Irish Halloween tradition to serve colcannon with prizes of small coins concealed within this warm comfort food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut kale into thin slices and then cross cut fine.
- 2Grate carrots, chop onion and garlic.
- 3Sauté the onions, garlic, and carrots until soft.
- 4Add the kale all at once and stir often over high heat until well wilted.
- 5Add ¼ C water, salt & pepper. The steam will rise, cover the pan and allow steaming at low temp for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Place this on the bottom of a 9x13-buttered pan. Spread parsley mashed potatoes (see below) over the kale mix.
- 7Top with 2 C of your favorite cheese, mild cheddar is great.
- 8Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
- 9Parsley-Mashed Potatoes: Dice 5-6 cups of potatoes. Barely cover with water, add 1 t salt. Bring to a boil and then simmer until potatoes are very soft, about 15 minutes Pour off water (save for soup stock). Add about 2 C milk, 4 T butter, and parsley. Mash by hand or with mixer. Add salt, pepper and 1/8 t nutmeg (yes, my secret ingredient for awesome mashed potatoes) to taste. Vegan style: use the potato water-no milk.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Terra's Colcannon (Courtesy of Spiral Path Farms Csa)
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.5
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 439.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 5.0 g