Grand Prize winner in a Simple & Delicious contest for crock-pot recipes. . .not my recipe unfortunately, but I had to post it here for safe keeping. They recommend serving it sliced with a side of hot mashed potatoes however I think it's much better atop fluffy white rice!!! This is a fabulous recipe and your end product won't have that "crock pot" flavor!!
- 1 (3 -4 lb) boneless pork shoulder, trimmed (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened apple juice (I have used pineapple juice with fabulous results)
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce (may use low sodium)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Cut roast in half; rub with brown sugar. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Mix together apple juice and soy sauce (and garlic and ginger if using) and pour over roast.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 6-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, strain cooking juices and return to slow cooker. Increase temp to high.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into juices in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Slice pork; serve with gravy.