Prep 3 hrs
Cook 15 mins
I was browsing for something light and came upon this great recipe on the internet. I switch out the vegetables for ones my family prefers and we don't like pineapples but otherwise we follow the recipe precisely (doubling it as our appetites require) and everyone is pleased!
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb boneless pork loin, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 portabella mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 1 large red onion, cut into 12 wedges
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 12 bite-size fresh pineapple chunks
- FLAVOR THE MEAT: In a shallow dish, mix together 3 tablespoons soy sauce, olive oil, 1 clove minced garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Add pork cubes, and turn to coat evenly with marinade. Cover, and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- CREATE SAUCE TOPPING: In a saucepan, combine beef broth, cornstarch, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, brown sugar, 2 cloves minced garlic, and ginger. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- COOKING PREP: Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate. Thread pork cubes onto skewers, alternating with mushrooms, onion, tomatoes, and pineapple chunks.
- COOKING: Cook on grill for 15 minutes, or until meat is cooked through. Turn skewers, and baste often with sauce during cooking.