Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love tofu, but my family only likes a few of the tofu recipes I make. This is one they really enjoy, though. When the tofu is cooking, I try not to leave the grill as the tofu sometimes can go from lightly charred to being overcooked and dark in a few minutes. I have included the time for marinating the tofu in the preparation time.
- 453.59 g extra firm tofu
- 118.29 ml teriyaki sauce
- 29.58 ml honey
- 4.92 ml sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92-9.85 ml gingerroot, peeled and grated, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2-3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Coat grill rack throughly with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium (300° to 350 ° F). Cut tofu into slices 1/2-inch thick. Place slices in a single layer in a shallow glass dish.
- In a small bowl combine teriyaki sauce, honey, oil, garlic, ginger, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour teriyaki mixture over tofu and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- After removing the tofu from the marinade, place the leftover marinade into a sauce pan. Cook over high heat until boiling. Boil marinade until reduced and slightly thick. Turn down heat to very low and start grilling the tofu.
- Grill tofu 5-6 minutes per side, turning gently, until lightly charred and heated through, being careful not to let tofu overcook. Remove from grill. Drizzle reduced marinade over grilled tofu. Sprinkle with green onions and (if desired) red pepper flakes. Serve at once.
I've never grilled tofu before (in my 15 years of eating it!) so I followed the recipe exactly. We all enjoyed it! But next time, I'll probably add some Sriracha to the marinade... too much sweetness, it needs to be balanced out IMHO. Thanks for the recipe, I'll be making this again!
Very, very tasty. Turns tofu into a vibrant food. You almost forget you're eating tofu!
Very tasty, thanks TasteTester. I wish I could have left this longer because it would have been even more flavourful. The marinade is very nice and only takes a few minutes to put together - I like that it includes fresh garlic & ginger. Unfortunately my grill cook (ha!) cooked it too quickly at really high heat, hence the slightly charred look in my photo, but it was still nice. I used the same marinade on some eggplant, so I didn't have extra to reduce and use as a sauce...in hind sight I should have doubled the marinade and done that because grilled/bbq tofu always needs some sauce. I've got lots leftover and think it will make great sandwiches!