Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
The sesame oil adds a subtle flavor to this easy 30 minute dish! Chicken can be used instead of fish. This recipe is popular in California, Asia, Australia and parts of Europe!
- 1 lb firm halibut or 1 lb tuna or 1 lb swordfish steaks or 1 lb skinless chicken breast half
- 1 large red bell peppers (or mix of both) or 1 large green bell pepper (or mix of both)
- 4 green onions
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks (optional)
- 1 (5 ounce) package chicken and broccoli flavor Rice-a-Roni
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Cut fish, red or green pepper, and onions into 1 inch pieces.
- Alternately thread fish, red or green pepper,onions, and pineapple chunks, if using, onto 4 large skewers; set aside.
- Prepare Rice a Roni mix as package directs.
- While rice is simmering, combine soy sauce, sherry, oil and garlic.
- Brush kabobs with soy sauce mixture.
- Grill over medium coals 14 minutes or broil 5 to 6 inches from heat 10 minutes, or until seafood is opaque, turning once and brushing with remaining soy sauce mixture.
- Serve rice topped with kabobs.
I used green bell peppers, because I had those on hand. I also used fresh pineapple instead of canned. Loved the sesame oil in this! I didn%u2019t make rice-a-roni, instead I made Recipe #161393 Coconut Raisin Rice Pilaf. Thanks for sharing a great recipe for the grill! Made for ZWT7.
These are a perfect summer meal! They have a very subtle but delicious flavor. I used boneless chicken breasts, regular onion instead of green onion, and I omitted the rice-a-roni and simply served it with some homemade bread. I also used sherry and opted to include the pineapple, both of which I think really added to the flavor. Because I was using chicken I also needed to grill it for only about 5 minutes per side. I'll definitely be making this again soon. Yum!