Recipe by gailanng
My humteenth recipe for a rice bowl. I can't help myself. Note: An alternative method would be to marinate the rib eye steak or chicken breasts whole and then grill it. Slice it thinly before serving it on the rice with more of the cooked and thickened teriyaki sauce. The version below is similar to the teriyaki bowls which are familiar to most Americans.
Top Review by mama smurf
Yum! Yum! Yum! Made this for Spring PAC 2013 and sooooooo glad I did. I can't believe I am the first to rate this. I love rice bowls and DH chose the Teriyaki Beef option. Delicious and once everything is done it is a breeze to put together. I did cut the recipe in half for us and used brown rice but otherwise followed the directions. Thank you for posting. Going into my Favorites of 2013.
- 1⁄2 lb rib eye steaks, sliced thinly or 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 carrot, julienned
- 6 broccoli florets
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- steamed white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small pot, blend together soy sauce, sugar. Bring to a simmer while stirring to dissolve the sugar; cool. Add minced garlic, ginger and mirin. Marinate the meat slices in this teriyaki sauce mixture for four hours reserving marinade for Step 2.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Stir-fry the onion, carrots, broccoli and cabbage until tender crisp. Remove from pan. Add the remaining half tablespoon of vegetable oil to pan. Stir-fry the marinaded beef or chicken. Remove meat.
- Blend the cornstarch with water and pour this into the reserved marinade, stirring to avoid lumps. Pour this into the pan, heat and stir until thickened. Return the cooked beef and vegetables to the pan and stir gently to coat with the sauce.
- Place hot, steamed white rice in individual serving bowls. Place cooked vegetables and meat on the rice. Pour on a small amount of thickened teriyaki sauce. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and sliced green onions.