Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This my mother-in-laws recipe. It's a keeper!
- 1 whole chicken, cut up and skin off
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons pan drippings
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- Mix together enough flour, salt and pepper to coat the chicken pieces.
- Bread chicken parts and brown in butter for a few minutes.
- Drain, Reserving 4 tablespoons grease for gravy. If there's not 4 tablespoons left then you can just use vegetable oil.
- But chicken pieces in a pot and cover with water.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Take chicken out of pan and reserve 3 cups of broth for gravy.
- Mix 4 tablespoons reserved grease or oil with 4 tablespoons flour. mix until smooth.
- Pour broth and milk in the pot the chicken simmered inches
- Then add grease and flour mixture. Put chicken in gravy.
- Make dumplings: Put all dry ingredients together.
- cut in shortening then add milk and stir up.
- Drop by spoonful on top of hot chicken/gravy mixture.
- Cook uncovered 15 minutes.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.