Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I made this for our Halloween party and everyone commented on how great the chicken in it was. The secret is marinating it in tequilla and grilling it. My teenaged son and his friend enjoyed it (another surprised look from the friend when he said "it was good." It makes a lot of marinade, so I used the rest for fajitas!
- 3 limes, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 cup tequila
- red pepper flakes
- 3 (16 ounce) cansgreat dry northern white beans
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies (I used green salsa)
- 1 tablespoon cumin, plus
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 cups defatted chicken stock (canned will work all right)
- 3 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- sour cream
- chopped fresh green onion
- diced avocado
- Zest 1 of the limes and sprinkle the lime zest over the chicken breast.
- Squeeze all 3 limes, and pour the juice over the chicken breasts.
- Pour the tequila over the chicken and.
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes over the chicken and marinate for 3 hours.
- Grill the chicken breast for 5 minutes and pour remaining marinade over the chicken breast on the grill.
- Turn the chicken breast and grill the second side for 4 minutes.
- Remove the chicken breast from the grill and cut into small cubes.
- Heat olive oil in stock pot and add onion and saute for about 10 minutes until translucent.
- Add the garlic, green chilis, cumin, cayene pepper, and cloves and saute for 10 minutes.
- Add beans, chicken,and chicken stock, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with cheese, chopped green onions, avocado, and sour cream.
Delicious! The meat is tender, and the chili has a nice flavor. DH and I enjoyed it with flour tortillas. I cut back slightly on the garlic and onions, but other than that followed the recipe. With DH manning the grill, the prep went quickly, and didn't take too long to make. Definitely a winner. Next time, I'll use it to impress guests!