Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
This is a lovely little hors d'oeuvres that I picked up from the Food Network. It was in the dark ages before I had internet, and I did not write down the name of the show I got it from. Cook time includes chilling the tomatoes after filling.
- 1 lb small cherry tomatoes (about 35)
- 1 fresh jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable juice cocktail (V-8)
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- 1 tablespoon finely minced onion
- 1 tablespoon finely minced cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 whole fresh cilantro leaf, for garninsh one for each tomato
- Cut off 1/4 inch from the blossom end (opposite the stem, they will stand firmly on their stem ends) of each tomato and with a 1/4 teaspoon measure carefuly scoop out the insides and discard.
- Wearing rubber gloves, seed and mince the jalepeno.
- In a small saucepan,sprinkle gelatin over vegetable juice and let stand for 1 minute to soften.
- Heat mixture over moderately low heat, stirring continuously, until gelatin is dissolved.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in jalapeno, tequila, onion, minced cilantro, salt and celery salt.
- Cool filling slightly.
- Using a small spoon and holding each tomato over the saucepan, spoon filling into tomatoes, arranging on a platter as filled.
- Chill covered tomatoes for 4 hours, or until filling is set, up to 1 day.
- Garnish each tomato with a cilantro leaf before serving.