Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 mins
These shrimp tacos are light and healthy, delicious, and so easy to make!
- 24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 corn tortillas, taco sized
- 1⁄2 large jicama, peeled and diced
For the Salsa
- 1 orange, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 garlic clove, grated
- 1⁄2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
For the marinade
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1⁄2 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a small bowl combine all ingredients for the shrimp marinade and stir. Place peeled and deveined shrimp in a resealable bag and add the marinade to coat the shrimp. Place sealed bag in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine jicama, orange, red onion, cilantro, garlic, oil, and lime juice. Stir well. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium high. Add shrimp and cook for no longer than 2-3 minutes. Once shrimp starts to curl up and turn pink, flip over and cook the other side. Remove shrimp to a plate immediately so it won’t continue to cook. Set aside.
- Stack corn tortillas on top of each other and wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave on high for 1 minute. To Serve: Place 2 corn tortillas on 4 plates and top each tortilla with a little of the salsa mixture and 3 pieces of shrimp per tortilla. Serve with leftover lime wedges cut into small pieces, if desired.
This is so delicious and healthy. I loved the flavor from the shrimp marinade. A definite keeper. I made mine into the shrimp tacos with the orange jicama salsa over corn tortillas, while my husband ate the shrimp over a salad. I love that the recipe can be adapted easily to suit different tastes. Thank you! Made for the 2013 Spring Pick A Chef event in the contest and events forums.