Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This a very easy and testy recipe to do. It was given to me by a friend in Encenada Mexico
- 3 large chicken breast halves (about 3lbs. total)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup tequila
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile, seeded, and minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons grated lime zest
- With a sharp, heavy knife, cut each chicken breast in half crosswise for a total of 6 pieces. In a large glass or plastic bowl, combine cilantro, tequila, lime juice, brown sugar, chile, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add chicken and mix to coat with marinade. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. (Do not marinate longer, because the acid in the marinade will begin to “cook” the chicken.).
- Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for direct, medium-high heat (you can hold your hand 1 to 2 inches above the cooking grate only 2 to 3 seconds; visit our Grilling Essential section for complete instructions).
- While grill heats, remove chicken from marinade, transfer to a platter, and pour marinade into a small bowl. Push your fingers under skin of each piece of chicken and rub meat with 1/2 teaspoons lime zest.
- Place chicken skin side down on oiled cooking grate and brush with marinade; cover gas grill. Cook until skin is browned but not charred, 4 to 6 minutes. Turn chicken with a wide spatula, brush again with remaining marinade, and cook, turning as needed to prevent burning, until chicken is no longer pink at the bone (cut to test), about 10 minutes longer. Transfer to a clean platter.
I felt like I was sitting on a tropical island eating this! Delish! (I would've like to dunk myself into that marinade.) Since I had skinless chicken breasts, I added the lime zest to the marinade. Next time I'll try marinating just a while longer to soak up even more flavor. Good stuff! Thanks Abel!
Oh my gosh... this was fabulous. So yummy! My husband gets tired of chicken so I thought I would try something different and they LOVED it. It's not very often they ask for seconds, but everyone did. Just a note - I used chicken thighs instead of breasts, as my family perfers them and they grilled up great!