Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Real Simple.
- 2⁄3 cup lime juice (6 to 8 medium limes)
- 1⁄2 cup tequila
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 4 bell peppers, each cut into 12 wedges
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 6 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- salsa (optional)
- chopped avocado (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Stir together the first 8 ingredients in a medium bowl to make the marinade. Combine the steak and 3/4 cup of the marinade in a large zip-top bag. Place the peppers and onion in another large zip-top bag, and pour in the remaining marinade.
- Seal the bags and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours, turning occasionally.
- Coat a grill rack or grill pan with vegetable cooking spray. Remove the steak and vegetables from the bags and discard the marinade.
- Grill the steak 8 minutes per side and the vegetables 8 to 10 minutes, turning them every 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the steak and vegetables from the grill.
- Keep the vegetables warm and let the steak sit for 10 minutes before slicing. Wrap the tortillas in foil and place on the grill or a grill pan to warm for a few minutes.
- Cut the steak on an angle, against the grain, into thin slices. Fill the tortillas with peppers, onion, and steak. Top with salsa, diced avocado, or sour cream (if desired).
I thought these would be great- I love lime. Found them to be a little bland in the end. I was trying to doctor them up with more flavor before putting them on the table. I will not be making these again.
My husband insisted that I give this 5 stars. We chose this tonight because we bought a ton of limes on sale (10 for $1). We used tenderloin steak and I sliced the steak into strips before marinating. This came together very quickly. I only marinated for 1 hour and the flavors really came through. I would worry that 4 hours might make it too intense. This is a great, easy & fast recipe (if you prepare ahead with the marinade). Thanks for the great recipe! :)