Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
My husband came up with this recipe when looking for a creative way to cook chicken. The marinade adds a nice sweet flavor to the chicken that is complimented by the kick of the chipotle ranch sauce. The chicken marinades overnight, but when we came home from work we were able to throw dinner together in under 30 minutes.
- 1⁄4 cup gold tequila
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (3 limes)
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (2 oranges)
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into strips
- 2 bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces sour cream
- dry ranch dressing mix
- dried chipotle powder (like Dean Jacob's Chiptole grinder mill)
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- Mix together tequila, lime juice, orange juice, lime zest, orange zest, chill powered, garlic, ground black pepper, Cayenne Pepper, and ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Butterfly chicken and place in a zip lock bag with ¾ of the marinade and the remaining salt, shake together and let marinade over night. Save remaining marinade.
- Mix ranch dressing mix and chipotle seasoning into sour cream, to taste. Let sit 1 hr or overnight for flavors to blend.
- Grill chicken and then cut into strips.
- Meanwhile, sauté bell pepper and onion in oil, until tender crisp about 5 minutes. After about 2 minutes add remaining marinade and simmer until marinade is gone.
- Serve chicken and pepper/onion mixture on warm flour tortillas with chipotle ranch sauce, lettuce, tomato and shredded cheese.