Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Great for the last few days of summer.
- 12 -14 lbs turkey, giblets removed
- 1 cup tequila
- 1⁄2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 -4 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- whole fresh lime
- Use pit BBQ or place a pan in the bottom of your BBQ to catch the drips.
- Remove backbone from turkey and crack the breast bone so that turkey will lay flat on the grill.
- Mix next 3 ingredients and marinate turkey several hours or overnight.
- Remove turkey from marinade, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place on grill- not directly on top of coals- breast side up.
- Cut whole lime in half, squeeze over turkey to baste every 20 minutes.
- Replace coals to keep temperature at 350-375.
- Turkey is done when thermometer reads 165.
- Tent with foil and let set for 15 minutes before carving.
This was a hit with the Thanksgiving crowd. Added sweet onion slices to the marinade.