Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Tequila isn't just for margaritas. When sweetened, it takes on a lovely floral quality which pairs beautifully with tropical fruit. Try a scoop of this with a tropical fruit salad. And remember, most of the alcohol cooks off. From "Tropical Desserts" by Andrew McLaughlin. Cooking time does not include freezing time.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup tequila (I use Herradura)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 egg yolks
- Combine the milk, cream and tequila in a saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer, and cook gently about 12 to 14 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk the sugar and honey into the egg yolks until slightly pale and lightened.
- Put one third of the milk mixture into the yolks while whisking.
- Add the yolk mixture into the saucepan with the rest of the milk mixture and cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the mixture thickens sufficiently to coat the back of spoon -- do not allow the custard to boil.
- Remove from the heat, pass through a fine strainer, and place in the refrigerator to cool for 30 minutes.
- When it has cooled, place in an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions.