1/1 Photo of Tequila Chicken Chili
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Dr. Jenny's Note:
DH and I made this chili from Normal Kolpas' "The Chili Cookbook" and really enjoyed it. We served it over basmati rice. While the recipe calls for masa harina, I really didnt think the chili needed thickening (it was plenty thick) and in the last chili recipe I included it in, I thought it detracted from the flavor a little bit. Therefore, I omitted it in this one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon medium-hot pure chile powder
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely shredded basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried leaf basil
- 2 teaspoons dried savory
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons masa harina
- steamed rice, to serve
- fresh fresh cilantro stem, for garnish
- fresh lime wedge, for garnish
- 1In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onions, chile powder, cumin seeds, chile flakes, and coriander and saute 2 to 3 minutes.
- 2Add chicken, increase heat to high, and saute until no longer pink, 7 to 10 minutes, stirring to break meat into rough chunks.
- 3Stir in remaining ingredients except masa, rice, and garnishes.
- 4Bring to a boil, reduce heat slightly and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is fairly thick, but still slightly liquid, about 1 1/4 hours.
- 5Sprinkle in masa, stir and simmer until thick, about 15 minutes more.
- 6Serve over steamed rice and garnish with cilantro sprigs and lime wedges.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tequila Chicken Chili
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.3
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 119.1 mg
- Sodium 1670.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 42.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: