Recipe by Dr. Jenny
DH and I made this chili from Normal Kolpas' "The Chili Cookbook" and really enjoyed it. We served it over basmati rice. While the recipe calls for masa harina, I really didnt think the chili needed thickening (it was plenty thick) and in the last chili recipe I included it in, I thought it detracted from the flavor a little bit. Therefore, I omitted it in this one.
Top Review by loof
This is a great chili! Loved the addition of the lime and tequila. The list of ingredients seemed long but it was mostly herbs and spices that I always have on hand, so no problem. Mine was quite thick and since I was serving over cornbread, like you I did not add the masa. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2012
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon medium-hot pure chile powder
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup tequila
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried leaf basil
- 2 teaspoons dried savory
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons masa harina
- steamed rice, to serve
- fresh fresh cilantro stem, for garnish
- fresh lime wedge, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onions, chile powder, cumin seeds, chile flakes, and coriander and saute 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chicken, increase heat to high, and saute until no longer pink, 7 to 10 minutes, stirring to break meat into rough chunks.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except masa, rice, and garnishes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat slightly and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is fairly thick, but still slightly liquid, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Sprinkle in masa, stir and simmer until thick, about 15 minutes more.
- Serve over steamed rice and garnish with cilantro sprigs and lime wedges.