Prep 25 mins
Cook 72 hrs
I think I've found a winner! I cannot wait to serve these up to my friends in one of my fun margarita glasses - you know, the ones that are as big as your head!?!? Cooking time is actually marinating time. Serve with Margarita Dipping Salt. From Oprah.com.
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes (about 2 standard pint baskets)
- 1 lb beefsteak tomato (about 2 large tomatoes)
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 lemons, large
- 1⁄2 cup tequila, white
- 1⁄2 cup vodka, plain, citron-, pepper-flavored, whatever you've got
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- margarita dipping salt, for serving (See my recipe for Margarita Dipping Salt)
- With a wooden or metal skewer, puncture each cherry tomato with 5 to 10 holes; place in a nonreactive bowl.
- By hand, or in a food processor with knife blade attached, finely chop beefsteak tomatoes; transfer to a medium bowl.
- Finely chop onion; add to beefsteak tomatoes.
- Stir in salt; let stand 5 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a fine sieve, pressing hard on the solids (should yield about 2 cups liquid). Discard solids.
- Grate zest from 2 lemons. Squeeze enough juice from 3 lemons to equal 1/2 cup.
- Gently stir tomato water, lemon zest, lemon juice and remaining ingredients (except margarita salt) into cherry tomatoes.
- Cover and refrigerate, keeping tomatoes submerged in liquid, at least 3 days or up to 1 week.
- To serve, place tomatoes in a glass bowl or a margarita glass. Cover with marinade.
- Provide tooth picks or wooden skewers for serving.
- Serve margarita dipping salt on the side.