Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
America's Test Kitchen
- 1 slice high-quality white bread, torn into quarters
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced canned chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Mash bread and milk into paste in a large bowl using fork.
- Mix in ground turkey, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper using hands.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over med-high heat until shimmering.
- Add onions, chili powder, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook until vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in turkey mixture and cook, breaking up any large pieces with wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, scraping up any browned bits; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir diced tomatoes with juice, beans, 3 tablespoons tequila, soy sauce, honey, and chipotles into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until turkey is tender, 4-6 hours on LOW.
- Let chili settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Break up any remaining large pieces of turkey with spoon.
- Stir in remaining tablespoon tequila, lime zest, and lime juice.
- Season with salt, pepper, more tequila and lime juice to taste, if needed; serve.