6 hrs 30 mins
America's Test Kitchen
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 slice high-quality white bread, torn into quarters
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced canned chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1Mash bread and milk into paste in a large bowl using fork.
- 2Mix in ground turkey, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper using hands.
- 3Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over med-high heat until shimmering.
- 4Add onions, chili powder, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook until vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- 5Stir in turkey mixture and cook, breaking up any large pieces with wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- 6Stir in tomato sauce, scraping up any browned bits; transfer to slow cooker.
- 7Stir diced tomatoes with juice, beans, 3 tablespoons tequila, soy sauce, honey, and chipotles into slow cooker.
- 8Cover and cook until turkey is tender, 4-6 hours on LOW.
- 9Let chili settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- 10Break up any remaining large pieces of turkey with spoon.
- 11Stir in remaining tablespoon tequila, lime zest, and lime juice.
- 12Season with salt, pepper, more tequila and lime juice to taste, if needed; serve.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tequila and Lime Turkey Chili
Serving Size: 1 (538 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 516.1
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 79.0 mg
- Sodium 1305.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.7 g
- Sugars 16.4 g
- Protein 37.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo